Charley Boy’s biography, net worth and 10 things you didn’t know about him
Many young ones today do not know much about Maverick entertainer and musician, Charley Boy.
Charly Boy whose real name is Charles Chukwuemeka Oputa, was born 19 June 1951.
Also known as His Royal Punkness, and Area Fada is a Nigerian singer/songwriter, television presenter, publisher, and producer of The Charly Boy Show and Nigeria’s most controversial entertainer.
He was born into a Catholic household. He is the second son of former Supreme Court judge Chukwudifu Oputa and also the cousin to the Swedish musician, Dr Alban.
Charley Boy is known as an advocate of the masses as he has fought for the rights of the average Nigerians.
Nigerian singer who is famous for politically-charged songs like “Nwata Miss” and for being a judge on Nigerian Idol. He is controversial in his home country due to his embrace of androgyny as well as his criticisms of the conservative Nigerian government. According to Astrologers, Charly Boy’s zodiac sign is Gemini.
The controversial Nigerian entertainer is definitely a name that has been making waves in the Nigerian entertainment industry.
Over the years he has stood against injustice and bad governance. He championed the “Enough is Enough” protest.
In 2021, after the End Sars protest, Charly boy, on his Twitter page, joined in condemning the reopening of the toll gate, even as he insisted that Nigerians have the right to protest and should not be stopped.
His tweet read, “I know these animals have turned Nigeria into a Jungle but peaceful protest is still our human right.
“Animals cannot dash us human right. Say no to #lekkitollgate reopening.
“A history of rape, history of rejection, Tribalism, Terror, Corruption, nonentities in governance and Docility but enough is enough. Say No to #lekkitollgate reopening.”
In 2017 Charley Boy led a protest to the headquarters of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, in Abuja demanding the extradition of former minister of petroleum resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke, from the UK to Nigeria.
Mrs. Madueke is currently standing trial in Nigeria and the UK for alleged misappropriation of the nation’s funds while she held sway as minister during the immediate past administration.
Charley Boy as an actor has featured in several movies such as King Of Boys where he played the role of gangster.
Speaking on his gangster role in an interview he said Odudubariba, his character in the movie, means butterfly in Igbo and represents his spiritual essence.
He said: “When Kemi Adetiba, the producer contacted me for a role in the movie, I was not sure of the name I would adopt. I asked her what name would I be called in the movie, and she said ‘Mr. Gbadamosi’, but this didn’t go down well with me. I felt the name didn’t fit my personality; it’s too flat and ordinary.”
The rights activist, Charlyboy, has concluded plans to release a musical film titled ‘Odudubariba’.
“Charlyboy, the Areafada, returns as a king into the country after three months abroad of rebooting and vacationing to release his highly anticipated Odudubariba musical film.
“The Areafada is one of the pioneers of the new wave music in Nigeria, and he is making his come back to the industry he helped to build.”
A few weeks ago, producer of blockbuster movies including “Last Flight to Abuja” and “Mirror Boy”, Obi Emelonye announced that he is back with another bar-raising movie, ‘Money Miss Road’ to solidify his spot in the Nigerian movie industry.
The comedy movie showcases legendary entertainer, Charly Boy in wit-for-wit, fist-for-fist dramatic expressions alongside internet comedy sensation, Josh Alfred (Josh2funny) and Jide Achufusi (Swanky JKA).
Charly Boy’s latest effort in Nollywood is causing ripples both locally and internationally.
Charly Boy is one of the richest World Music Singer & listed on most popular World Music Singer. According to our analysis, Wikipedia, Forbes & Business Insider, Charly Boy net worth is approximately $1.5 Million.
Here are 10 things you probably didn’t know about the Nigeria most controversial entertainer, Charly Boy:
1. Charly Boy was born as Charles Chukwuemeka Oputa on 19 June 1951 in Nigeria into a Catholic household
2. He is the second son of former Supreme Court judge Chukwudifu Oputa and also the cousin to the Swedish musician, Dr Alban.
3. He had set out to become a priest but left seminary school after a year.
4. In his late teens he moved to America where he was expected to study Law but graduated with a degree in Communications.
5. In 1990, he was among the Nigerian singers who supported the South African artist, Yvonne Chaka Chaka at a series of concerts and feature in a commercial for the brand with Femi Kuti and Evi-Edna Ogosi.
6. He released a highlife album in 1982 but he was denied a record deal due to his unconventional appearance.
7. He is the owner of New Waves Productions and publisher of The Charly Boy Magazine which he launched in 2010 and writes for regularly.
8. In 2010, he established The Charly Boy Kiddies Affair in Abuja, which aimed to boost the potential of Nigerian children.
9. He has been married to African-American singer and former fashion designer Diane for over thirty years. The couple is also blessed with children together.
10. He was referred as “Nigeria’s Boy George” by entertainment journalists, but claimed that he had started this persona long before his British counterpart became famous